The Benedictine Community of New Norcia has one of the oldest olive groves in Western Australia. The town’s founder, Dom Rosendo Salvado, planted the original grove in the 1850-1860’s. By the early 1900s olive production was an important part of the Benedictine community’s self-sufficiency. The grove is managed by the monks and staff of New Norcia with the help of volunteers. The olives from the smaller and younger trees are still hand-picked and sorted, however the processing is now done off-site at the town of York.